Saturday, August 19, 2017

Psalm 4


Psalm 4: David pleads with God
1. Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
2. O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach? {How long} will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? Selah.
3. But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him.
4. Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
5. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And trust in the LORD.
6. Many are saying, "Who will show us {any} good?" Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O LORD!
7. You have put gladness in my heart, More than when their grain and new wine abound.
8. In peace I will both lie down and sleep, For You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.
 Peace with God and peace in God are the subjects of this psalm. In it David first of all prays to the Lord remembering how God has relieved him in the past and he asks for that same grace to come again in answer to this prayer. Then he looks around at people and notices that they seem to have no heart for God at all, that they are proudly deceived by hoping that worthless protection will save them.

But, he says to them, know for sure that God has those who worship and please Him, and I am one of them, one of God’s set apart ones — different. So if this offends you or causes you to fear then do not sin against your conscience or God’s word, then do tremble and fear God and make your peace with Him. Trust Him and you will have gladness of heart and rest and safety as I do.

Obviously this psalm refers to a real time when David was in real danger and felt like he was really the only one who understood how God was protecting them. If it was during the time that Saul was looking for David trying to kill him then there were many other people hiding out with him. David wanted them to know that he would do all he could to keep them safe, but it was only God who could give them peace of heart and mind so they like him could lie down and sleep peacefully.

Yes, God is different and He wants us to be different also, set apart, even holy. Trust in Him.
Amen